The motto these days: We’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time.
Let’s call it a year until our time in Sweden comes to a close. There is still so much we want to see, accomplish, do, etc. And practically no time to do it. Says me…who’s had two years here already…but there’s always more, right? Is anyone ever ready to leave a European sojourn?
There’s always going to be those big European cities we want to visit, and those beaches and forests/vineyards/markets/churches/etc we want to see, but the cost and time isn’t realistic to galavant all over the continent (or further) this year. And, we’re in SWEDEN (the motherland)! I might be sad we didn’t visit Paris while we lived in Europe, but I’d feel almost ashamed if we didn’t see more of our host country – especially since there is SO MUCH here that we want to see and do.
So, here is our Sweden Travel Bucket List (for our own future reference and will likely be added to as we hear about more places/remember more places we’ve been told about):
- Fotografiska and Moderna Museet in Stockholm
- Uppsala Botanical Gardens
- Hiking at Abisko National Park in far northern Sweden – drooooool. I think I’d want to visit in early fall, just before it gets too dark and too cold, but still as the leaves are changing.
- Biggest car show in the world! Power Big Meet – Västerås, Sweden, July 3 – 5
- Visit the island of Gotland, and specifically Visby (more specifically for Medeltidsveckan in August!)
- Hiking at Fulufjället National Park in Dalarna
- Visit all the cities! Göteborg on the west coast, Halmstad (where my Great Great Grandfather came from), Karlstad/Kristinehamn (where my Great Great Grandmother came from), Kalmar and the Borgholm castle ruins on Öland, Örebro again (in spring or summer), and any other city, town, or village we can make it to.
and mushroom picking!
And we’ve been to a fika inside a friend’s old Swedish home that I thought I’d died and went to Scandinavian interiors heaven (been to a couple of those homes, actually!). And we’ve been to a beach on Lake Vättern that pretty much rivals any California beach I’ve been to (northern and southern). And we’ve stumbled upon some pretty awesome local places as well, just getting out and seeing what there was to do…
None of which we had any idea about before but still have become treasured memories.
Then there are silly personal things, like…
- To baptize Porter. How cool would it be to have that done at the Domkyrka? No matter the place, we’re working on scheduling that out.
- Matt wants a moose. He’s already been helping local friends and farmers hunt their properties, and was actually asked to help out on a moose hunt recently, but no moose was to be had then. We will take drives every once and a while to hunt Katie-style (shooting with a camera) but I still haven’t seen as much as I’d like. I would like a big ass bull moose picture and/or a big ass red stag picture.
- To collect a few nice Sweden goods/items that will last us forever. Matt has a nice Gränsfors Bruks axe now (Merry Christmas!), I’d like a pair of Swedish Hasbeens (or similar), and Porter will get to pick out his own Fjäll Räven mini Kånken backpack before we go. Totally predictable (stereotypical) material goods…but I can’t drag all the furniture and tea towels I want on a plane back home…so, there.
Anyway, those are just some of the things that come to mind that we’ve talked about having accomplished “sometime”. The time is now and if we don’t get on it, we’ll miss our opportunities and that would be unfortunate/I’ll never forgive myself. Every weekend from now until December could be booked with things to do. It’s a daunting task, but I’m willing to sacrifice myself to the job. No, please don’t make me travel all over beautiful Sweden! Said no one in this house EVER.
AND (!!!) if there are any suggestions for places to go, things to see, fikas to be had, DO TELL!