Happy New Year!
2016 will apparently go down in history as a tough, crappy year. I can’t disagree on some major points. I can try to focus on the positive and exciting things that happened, though. So, let’s get to it!
- Best things first, our Henry was born!
- My father was able to travel to Abu Dhabi to be here for Henry’s birth, and bond so well with Porter.
- We were able to move to a new house, which has made living here significantly better.
- My mother was able to visit and see her two youngest grandsons!
- We were miraculously able to take THREE vacations this summer.
- Vienna, Austria and Bratislava, Slovakia.
- California with friends and family.
- Bangkok, Thailand.
- Porter, already a genius of epic proportions, has grown and learned so much at nursery this year!
- We all turned another year older. While birthdays are starting to become bittersweet (babies getting older, Mama getting wrinkles…) I will never complain.
- I have made friendships and acquaintances in a fabulous running group!
- My best friend and her husband came to visit for another of my children’s first Christmas.
- We were still able to get out a bit to explore the UAE, despite the challenges of being very pregnant or having an infant and a toddler.
Some of the “cons”:
- We all got sick more times than I can count. The most we have been sick in years. I’m convinced the zombie apocalypse will start in a nursery school setting.
- I ran some slow 5ks and 10ks this year. At least I ran them? I blame the below:
- This baby weight will not budge. Except during one of the above illnesses when I dropped a couple kilo very easily.
- We decided to cancel a trip to Jordan over New Years because of an official Travel Warning. So Sad! As I’ve reconciled in my mind, the risk might be low but the threat is high, and it’s too much anxiety right now with two little kids. Soon, Jordan, and I can’t wait. I CAN’T WAIT.
- Lastly: the news on an international scale has been quite negative. It hurts my heart. At a time when I am personally experiencing so much happiness getting to know people from all over the world, some of our leaders are intent on dividing us. Some of our religions are being abused and used to hurt others. Some in our communities are making excuses for the worst inside them to treat others terribly. When did it become OK to let ourselves go unchecked? (I have more than a few unpublished posts on this topic in the queue, but this is not that kind of blog.)
All in all, though, we did it, we managed. Here we are at the top of a brand new year, one that so many people want to make great. As usual, my wish is to make this year better than the one before. As I get older, I don’t know how to quantify that so much anymore. Yes, we may struggle a lot, but more often than not that struggle is worth it, no?
To all of us~
May the struggles be worth it. May we enjoy our days, and eventually look back on all the good, and any bad, with smiles. Let us all become better versions of ourselves, for ourselves and others. I think the world needs a lot of that right now.
Thank you to the UAE for the happiness and positivity projected here. I hope to get to know this country and the wonderful people here, from all over the world, better and better. The opportunity to live here continues to be such a blessing and I am forever grateful.